Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Open mouth, insert foot

I have a very, very sweet husband who loves doing nice things for me. He's affectionate and loving and fun and understands my craziness. I couldn't ask for a better partner in life.

I never questions his motivations and would never deliberately hurt his feelings (which are far more tender than mine).

So perhaps someone can explain to me how the following exchange occurred:

The other day when Jason came home from work, I went out into the driveway to greet him. He picks up Zeke on his way home, so as I smothered Zeke with hugs and kisses, Jason pulled a large something out of the car. When I looked up, he had kind of a shy grin on his face, and he was holding a large box with a flower arrangement on it.

The flowers were really pretty, but they were sitting on a black disc-like plate that looked kind of odd to me.

The job he's working on right now is a big hotel renovation.

So without even thinking about it, I asked, "oh, were there left over centerpieces at a dinner at the hotel or something?"

His face fell. "No, I just wanted to do something nice for you, so I stopped at a florist on the way home from work."

Oops.

I just lost a bunch of Spouse of the Year points, that's for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Just chalk it up to the fact that you are a Jacobs. Suplise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt so bad. I really wasn't trying to be an asshole, but it totally looked like a centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I'd have said the same thing. Poor sweet guy!

    ReplyDelete

Nu?