Monday, August 05, 2013

I should print bumper stickers.

All I can say is, I'm really glad that when we went to Fake Steamboat, I didn't know what Real Steamboat looked like, because I would have cried.

I've been to some extraordinarily beautiful places in my life -- southwestern Australia, the Carpathian Mountain region of Romania, the northern mountains and lakes of India, just to name a few.  North-central Colorado gives all of those places a run for their money.

We experienced HORRIBLE traffic on the way out, but we finally arrived at our campsite late Friday night.  It was too dark to see our surroundings, but we were way out of town and the stars were incredible.  Millions of bright stars everywhere, plus we could clearly see the Milky Way.  It was hard not to spend all of our time looking up at the sky.

When we woke up in the morning, we discovered that our campsite was in the middle of a field of wildflowers.




A couple hundred yards away was the head of a little hiking trail that the kids couldn't get enough of.






No matter where we looked, the views were spectacular.



We went into town on Saturday and went tubing on the Yampa River.


That night we made a huge campfire and looked at the stars and made wishes.


We finished the trip by going to see Fish Creek Falls.



When we were driving up on Friday, Zeke asked about dying and heaven.  He's been all into talking about dying lately, because I guess he's realizing that he is mortal.  He asked about heaven, which I was having a hard time explaining well, given that as a Jew, I don't believe in heaven and haven't really given it much thought.

As we were talking, Josie started to cry.

"What's the matter, sweetheart?"  I asked.

"I don't want to go to heaven.  I want to go camping!" 

Amen, little girl.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:25 PM

    Ha ha, Amen, that looks amazing. If it weren't for all our family in MN, we would seriously consider relocating to CO!

    ReplyDelete

Nu?