Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thank God for my crazy brain, and for all of you

The truth is, I don't live a very exciting life.

So many people are all, "oooh, you live in Hawaii! Whee! Paradise blah blee bloo."

But it's not like I spend my days hiking through the jungle admiring waterfalls and vistas like the cast of Lost.

In fact, because I work from home, my exposure to the outside world is pretty limited. Yes, I'm in Hawaii, but I spend most of my time sitting in my normal suburban house working on a computer and occasionally getting up to eat, exercise or do laundry or dishes. Twice a day I drive up the road to drop Zeke off at school and pick him up, and occasionally I'll detour to the drug store or grocery store for provisions. But I spend alot of time by myself in my office, so to an alien observing me from Planet Xorcam, my existence is kind of boring.

But I don't feel that way, thank God -- at least not most of the time.

Because I've got my phone, so I can talk to my family or my friends and keep up with what they're doing.

And I've got my imagination, so I can perseverate on why I had the most amazingly complex dream last night involving riding on the space shuttle with The Connells, a band I have not listened to or thought about since I was at UVa., while they played me a belated birthday serenade. And yes, I second your "WTF??"

And most of all, I've got the internet, so I can read the news and stay current on my blogger friends and feel like I'm out in the world, rather than on a tiny island in the middle of the fucking Pacific Ocean. Even sitting alone in my little office, I feel like I have a little community I'm a part of, that keeps up with me and checks up on me when I'm down, and that engages me in something other than my own humdrum life.


Bless you all. You keep me sane. Sort of.

6 comments:

  1. The Connells!!! I haven't thought about them since college either. Ha! I am sure that sometimes you do feel very isolated. Hawaii, exquisitely beautiful as it may be, is, as you point out, very far away. I wish we'd had the Internet when we were growing up, actually. We'd have been in India but so conntected to everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Loved your comment about hope on today's LG post and wondered over. I find it so intriguing our days are similar, yet you're in HI and I'm in Austin, Texas working in an office with no windows.

    Have a great day! I also have 2 sets of friends named Wendy and Jason :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:07 PM

    With the wind chill knocking the temperature down to the teens here in DC, it's so hard not to be jealous though! Surfing!!! Over lunch!!! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa -- I often wonder what India would have been like for us back then if it were like it is now, all wired up and internet-savvy. But I loved our life there. I look back on the trips we took and the social activities we engaged in, all at the age of 17 or 18, and marvel at how lucky we were.

    HKW -- thanks for the comment and for stopping by!

    Jen -- the lunchtime surfing is pretty great. And sometimes J and I go out together after he's finished with work and before we pick up Zeke from school. Not a bad way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:57 PM

    Wow! I just now realized that you and Lisa were together in India. Duh. So slow.

    And I saw the Connells in college. They put on an awesome show. They covered Bela Lugosi Is Dead as an encore and it was incredible.

    I need to stop whining about feeling isolated. I'm in NW Georgia. If I wanted, I could drive to Alabama in 30 - 45 minutes or to Tennessee in an hour. But you're on an island Wow, that's isolated. And I don't mean to rub it in.

    Nevertheless, I look at the blogging community as much as my real life community as I do the real world.

    Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  6. DCup -- it's not wrong, at least not as far as I'm concerned. I feel like my life is made rich by the blogging community, and I cherish the way it makes me feel connected to the world. I like that technology has provided the means for a greater breadth of friendships.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?