Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Surfus Interruptus

"Hey, baby, how's your day looking? Want to meet me for a surf before we go pick up the boy?"

"Sure, that sounds great. I'll meet you at White Plains at 3:40."

"OK, see you then. Love you. Bye."

We meet at the beach. He walks over to my car and from my vantage point, it looks like he's getting something out of the trunk. I get out, toss my purse in the trunk of my car, and then walk over to the van to help him take the boards out. I lock my car, then I put my keys in the back of the van.

He says, "go ahead, I'm going to wax my board, I'll meet you out there."

I head for the beach. A few minutes later he joins me. We check out the water, figure out where the good waves are breaking and where the rip tide is (so we know to avoid it), and start paddling out. It's a bit windy and the water is choppy, but we each catch a couple of decent waves.

Half an hour later, we head in so we can go home, put on dry clothes, and head up to Zeke's school. We're happy as clams. La la la.

"Do you have your key?" he asks me.

I feel a flush of panic. "No, my keys are in your van. Where's your key?"

"In the trunk of your car."

"You're bullshitting me."

"I swear I'm not."

Fuuuuuck. And just like that, the surf buzz, she is dead.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Ten bucks says I can get in that van with a wax comb and a brick without doing more than $25 in damages! (asking for the wax comb just serves to distract Jason whle I smack the lock one good time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually took all of 3 minutes to solve the problem. J borrowed a screwdriver from some guy in the parking lot, gave the lock a good whack, and we were in. But it made for a better story if I left that part out. We have vowed that from now on, valuables will be stored in my car (though not before a good, "oh yeah, well next time I'll stick the key up your ass" exchange).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so funny. Feel like I was there. Figures Schwabber could fix it in a minute, so long as there is no sudden erosion to cause him to lose his footing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are the odds? And, um, as for your exchange, the ass is typically a good safe place to keep keys. Although might make for kind of uncomfortable surfing.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?