Friday, March 07, 2014

The Impressive Clergywoman?

My brother Sam is getting married in a month.  The whole family is super excited, as we adore his fiancée (I've already considered her a sister-in-law forever).  A couple of months ago, I was talking to them about the wedding and asking how the planning was going.

"We've got everything mostly sorted out, but we need to find an officiant."

As a joke, I said, "well, if you want, I can get ordained online and marry you."

"Actually, I would love that," he said.  The fiancée concurred.

Turns out, getting ordained to conduct weddings is absurdly easy.  I googled "get ordained online" and found a "church" that ordains you as one of its own when you fill out an online form and hit "submit."  So I did that, and am now a minister with the Universal Life Church.  I checked with the Harris County clerk's office (they're getting married in Houston), and read the Texas law on the requirements for marriage celebrants, and I'm good to go. 

I'm so, so excited to do this.  I'm so happy for Sam - his fiancée is the polar opposite of Voldemort, his first wife.  It's a huge honor to play a role like this in what is obviously a major life event. 

Now to put the ceremony together.  They're going to do an interfaith ceremony that's heavy on Jewish traditions, so I've been researching the various aspects of the ceremony and started to put the draft together.  I'll have to practice my Hebrew for some of the blessings, but it shouldn't be too bad.

And if I get stuck, I can always go with, "mawwage is what bwings us togevver today..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nu?