Saturday, August 23, 2008

Why I may be happy with another boy after all

It's no secret that Jason and I want to have another baby next year. And we'd love to have a girl this time. I really like the idea of having a daughter and of having a relationship with her like the one I have with my mom. And having one of each seems nice and symmetrical.

But I fear the odds are against us. The men in Jason's family don't seem to make girl sperm. Jason's dad has 5 brothers (after trying for so long to have a girl, Jason's grandma finally gave up and adopted one). He has a brother, and his brother has two sons. So far, his two successful fertilizations (Zeke, and the miscarriage before him) have produced boys.

So while I'm hoping for a girl, I'm not going to hold my breath.

And after some recent communications with my friend Alex, I'm thinking another boy might not be so bad.

Alex married a guy with two kids, one of them Claire, a teenage girl. And Alex and her husband have custody of the kids, so she is a full-on mom to them. She deals with the homework fights and the "I have nothing to wear" tantrums and the back-to-school shopping.

Recently she was telling me about the new popular activity in middle schools. Claire told Alex about this thing called a "rainbow party." In a rainbow party, each girl wears a different shade of lipstick. The boys line up in a row, and the girls move down the line, fellating each of them. Each boy's goal is to have a rainbow of colors on his penis.

Yes, you read that right.

I find this so shocking that I don't even know what to say about it.

Far less horrifying, but just as troubling from an aesthetic point of view, are the fashions young girls are sporting today.

Alex took Claire to shop for new school clothes the other day. And it felt like a time warp. Because it's all the same shit that was popular when we were in high school in the mid-80s. The day-glo, pointy-toed stilleto pumps (but thankfully, not worn with frilly ankle socks). The skinny pegged jeans. The side ponytails. The paisley patterned shit. The fingerless mesh gloves that would make the most ardent Madonna-wannabe proud.

(the display of "fuck me" pumps from Alex's recent shopping excursion with her 13-year-old daughter)

Quite frankly, the prospect of a girl -- who will eventually become a teenage girl -- terrifies me. And while boys certainly present their own challenges, they don't seem nearly as daunting.

6 comments:

  1. Yah, I'd heard about the rainbow thing but didn't think it was true. I would love to have a girl for the same reason, but yes, there are so many scary things about having a girl now - they're giving blow jobs and having sex so much younger and are so much more cavalier about all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:35 AM

    I think those rainbow parties are pretty much an urban myth. My kids tell me that the media stories and stories that parents like to tell each other to scare the hell out of them are the serious exception, not the rule.

    Having said that, boys are fun in a different way. I wish Nate had a brother. Really. He could use one. I think a brother for Zeke would be really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard they're an urban myth as well, but the report about them came directly from Claire, not from parents or media or some other source. That's what makes me think that they might actually occur, albeit rarely (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:01 PM

    I wanted a girl when I was pregnant with Maurice. But God blessed me with a boy.

    I think He knew that the world wouldn't be able to handle another one of me.

    Sherice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:41 AM

    Sherice, I wasn't thinking what you wrote until I read your post. Amen to that.

    Jen Lu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:23 AM

    Just in case you read this post again Sherice, I realized that it may appear that I meant (in my comment above) that the world can't handle more than one Sherice. While it may be true, I certainly am in no position to comment on that since I don't even know you; I meant that about myself!

    Jen Lu.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?