Thursday, November 15, 2007

The happiest mommy on the block

When I was about 5 or 6 months pregnant, I ordered some DVDs from Amazon. One was a childbirth class, and the other was called The Happiest Baby On The Block, and it showed techniques for calming a crying or fussing baby. We watched the childbirth DVD in preparation for labor, but stuck the other one in a drawer and forgot about it.

Until last night.

Zeke has had a rough couple of days. He has been very fussy, and I thought he had bad gas, and then thought he was sick with a cold because his nose sounded congested, so I took him to the pediatrician yesterday to have him looked at. Apparently, his belly is nice and soft, indicating no gas problems, and according to the doctor, his nose wasn't even stuffed up. So in addition to being unable to calm my child, I have become that mom that rushes off to the doctor like a ninny the minute the kid shows signs of having a hangnail. But I did discover he now weighs 10 pounds (as my father said, "great news! we've never had a Sumo wrestler in the family!")

Anyway. He was relatively calm all morning yesterday, but then at around 2pm started this cycle of hysterical crying for 20 minutes followed by 5 minutes of calm, then more hysterical crying, then maybe 10 minutes of sleep, then more hysterical crying, etc. Nothing worked. I walked with him, sang to him, tried giving him a bottle, tried giving him a pacifier, tried holding him up on my shoulder, tried cradling him on his side, tried putting him in the carseat, the bouncy seat, and the swing, and nothing would calm him down.

Finally, he seemed to settle down on my shoulder (doing that "huh-huh-huh" thing kids do when they've been crying forever and are trying to calm down -- so pathetic), and I remembered this DVD and decided to watch it. It's made by a pediatrician whose theory is that the first 3 months of life are essentially a fourth trimester of pregnancy, and the best way to soothe a baby and make him feel secure is to mimic the conditions the baby was used to in utero. Common sense, yes, but sometimes it takes someone showing you the obvious before you get clued in. So the techniques are, you swaddle the baby tightly, hold him on his side or stomach, "shush" loudly (or use some other form of white noise), gently jiggle the baby, and give him something to suck on. Jason got the tricks down right away, but it took me a little while to get the hang of the side/stomach position. But I tried again this morning when Zeke was fussing; I swaddled him tightly, put him on his side (carrying him like a football, with his cheek in my palm), shushed him, and jiggled him a little, and he literally went from crying hard to passed out cold in about 10 seconds. He is now asleep in his crib with my white noise machine on loud about 6 inches from his ear, happier than a pig in shit.

shhh...

Dr. Harvey Karp, if I could nominate you for a Nobel Prize, I would. I think you saved my life, or at least my sanity.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Wendy and Jason:

    It's wonderful to read about how Dr. Karp's techniques have helped parents with their newborn. Congratulations on Zeke, and thank you for mentioning Dr. Karp!

    In addition to watching the DVD, Dr. Karp highly recommends using our CD of white noise from the womb called "Super Soothing Sleep Sounds". The CD helps improve the baby's sleep, and will help Zeke sleep an additional 1-3 hours nightly. It should be played as loudly as a shower sound and can be put on repeat to play throughout the night. Parents also love being able to use it in the car and on trips! The CD can be used up to 1-2-3 years of age.

    And if you have a moment, we would so much appreciate you leaving a short review on Amazon. It really helps new parents to read about the experiences of seasoned parents...like you!

    Happy Holidays!

    Best wishes,
    Laila

    The Happiest Baby, Inc.
    12300 Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 320
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    Tel: 310-207-1111
    Fax: 310-207-1221
    www.thehappiestbaby.com

    ReplyDelete

Nu?