Thursday, June 12, 2008

Swim, baby

Zeke is turning out to be a total water baby. Jason and I are very excited about this because we both love the water and are strong swimmers. I learned how to swim when I was about 18 months old and I think Jason was around the same age when he learned. Our plan is to have Zeke on a surfboard as soon as he can stand up.

I've been taking him to the pool to get him comfortable in the water. The first time he seemed a little apprehensive, but I think it was because the water was a little cold for him -- he was only about 4 months old at the time and his body wasn't yet good at regulating its temperature. Once he hit 6 months he dug it, grinning and splashing the whole time.

The past few times I've taken him, he's draped his body over the crook of my arm (kind of like a human version of a swimming noodle) and as I pull him along, he flaps his arms and kicks his legs like he's swimming.

Because he's so little and so cute (I'm biased, but it's true), people tend to marvel at how comfortable he appears in the water. One lady asked me today, "does he take swimming lessons?"

I laughed and explained to her that he's only 7 months old, so no, he doesn't.

But inside, in spite of myself, I was puffed up with pride.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:34 PM

    I can't wait for the first Zeke on a surfboard pictures! And video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy water baby!! :) so cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Of course he's a waterbaby with the two of you for parents! I'm sure he'll be surfing with you guys as soon as he's old enough!

    ReplyDelete

Nu?