Monday, June 23, 2008

Easy cleansing

My neighbor, Anne, and I have decided to do the three week detoxing cleanse that Oprah did a little while back. It's a three week process where you cut all potential toxins and allergens from your diet. Supposedly, people who do this feel more energized and healthy, they lose weight, and they just generally feel great. Anne and I have both been feeling like we could eat healthier and improve our energy levels, so we're doing it together.

Oh, and don't get on my case about getting all Oprah-fied. I heard about it from Dooce, so no, I haven't drunk the Oprah Kool-Aid. Now please shut up so I can get back to figuring out how to live my best, regret-free life while reading lots of Maya Angelou and Toni Morrison books.

Anyway, for three weeks, we're cutting out all caffeine, alcohol, sugar, gluten and animal products. So no triple grande lattes for me, or bread or pasta or ice cream or yogurt or cheese or eggs or steak or chicken. Or beer. Or wine. Or apple pie. Or deviled eggs. The list is obviously quite long.

Anne and I were talking to Cindy about this the other day, and Cindy said that, for a number of reasons, she could never do a diet like that. That, in addition to depriving yourself of things you might like, it's too complicated and too difficult to adhere to. She went so far as to suggest that anyone who chooses to eat like that is obviously insane and couldn't possibly be happy. So, all you vegans out there, I guess it sucks to be you.

But the truth is, it's not that hard. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, and I don't drink sodas, so the caffeine won't be a big deal. I rarely drink alcohol -- maybe one beer a week, and I usually don't finish it -- so that part will be easy. I don't really have much of a sweet tooth. So it's cutting out the diary, meat and gluten that will pose a challenge.

Yesterday was my first day, and I had no trouble finding stuff to eat that was yummy and satisfying. Breakfast was oatmeal with raspberries and vanilla soy milk (which is delicious -- they've definitely improved the formula). Lunch was a Boca Burger and a spinach salad with vegan cheese, soy bacon and Italian dressing. Snack was an apple with almond butter, and dinner was stir-fry with broccoli, asparagus, tofu and brown rice, seasoned with garlic, chili oil and soy sauce. It was really good. And amazingly, Jason -- who is about as meat and potatoes as they come -- thought it was really good, too.

As I explained to Cindy, eating a new way isn't all that complicated. Unless you eat out at restaurants frequently -- which I don't -- the way you eat is dictated by a few simple steps:

1. Make a list.
2. Go to the store.
3. Buy stuff.
4. Go home and eat the stuff you bought.

Doing this cleanse isn't any different. The only real change is in the stuff I choose at the store. The rest is the same.

It's Day 2. I'm feeling fine. I'm not craving Oreos or a western omelette. I had a little caffeine headache yesterday, but nothing today. I'll keep y'all posted.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 PM

    I hope it works. We're heading in that direction, but I'm worried about the sugar. That will be my downfall. I'm going to have to get some agave, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DCup - Stevia is another great sugar substitute. It's sold in both powder and liquid form, has no glycemic index (so it's fine for diabetics), and tastes exactly like sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:03 PM

    I'm going to have to get some of that too. The Dancer has been watching the Veria channel on her time off.

    We're all over the show The Sweet Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:04 PM

    And thank you for the reminder! I'm going to Whole Foods this weekend to stock up I think.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?