Thursday, May 08, 2008

Emily Post vs. The Aussies

I like to think that I am a gracious hostess. The example was set for me by my mother, and I also lived half my life in the South, so I take my obligations to my guests seriously. I do my best to make people feel comfortable and welcome in my home. But I'm having a hard time with my current guests because they're not acting like guests, but rather like people who have moved in, and they're not letting me make them comfortable the way I feel I should.

Our house only has 3 bedrooms -- the master, Zeke's room, and a guest room. But with MIL and Pa staying with us, we're short a room. So Pa has been sleeping on an air mattress on the floor in our upstairs hallway/vestibule. Jason and MIL and Pa see no problem with this arrangement. I, on the other hand, am horrified by it. I just can't imagine that the etiquette gods are at all pleased with the notion of an 88 year old man sleeping on the floor of his grandson's house.

I'm going to buy a twin bed and put it in Zeke's room (he'll probably be using it in a year anyway) so that Pa can have a decent place to sleep. Which puts me in the ironic position of fulfilling my obligations as a hostess by ignoring my guests' assurances that all is well.

It's very off-putting.

5 comments:

  1. I take it as all very positive. They're comfortable enough with you to move in and treat you like family. And you like them enough to make sure they're as comfortable as possible. And as you say, you'll need the twin bed soon anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're letting an 88 year old man sleep on the floor!! i'm appalled! (not really...)

    good look shopping!

    love
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:22 AM

    all ken had to say about this post and the thermos one was "wendy having company is so great for us! it's hilarious."

    Jen L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Lisa!

    It's a good thing. But I would also go buy the bed. Do you have IKEA there? With the exception of putting it together, IKEA has some lovely twin beds for kids.

    Good luck!

    P.S. I feel like you when we visit my MIL and she insists that Scott and I take her bed/room while she sleeps on an air mattress in the den with our son while he watches videos all night because he can't sleep in strange places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we got an IKEA, I would fall to my knees and weep with gratitude. But not only does Hawaii not have an IKEA, but IKEA won't even ship here. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?