Tuesday, August 29, 2006

File under "Curb, Kick His Ass To The"

I am all about giving love a chance. I really am. I'm the poster child for it, as anyone who knows anything about my relationship with Jason knows. If you've got that loving feeling, don't give up, etc. Blah blah. But there are limits. So this entry is a shout-out to my good friend E, who is hurting after giving The Boy a fourth chance, only to have him fuck it up again.

Girlfriend, it's time to move on. You're a beautiful, smart, engaging, talented, funny woman, and The Boy just isn't capable. He doesn't have it. I will say nothing disparaging about him because a) I like him and I don't think he's a bad guy, and b) it's not helpful, but he can't make you happy. I know you've had periods of happiness with him, but he always ends up kicking you in the gut (figuratively speaking, of course). You've given this relationship every chance to succeed, but, to use ER/Grey's Anatomy/House-speak, it's time to call it. "Time of death: August 2006."

Now let's go out and get drunk. I'll buy.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:46 AM

    wendy,

    lovely sentiments and it's heartening to see it in print. i also think you are spot on, at least 83% or so... mainly, i sincerely appreciate your thoughtfulness.

    what i don't sincerely appreciate is the tease of booze from a gimpy* woman who is strung out on pain meds and goes to bed at 8:27 pm.

    i can think of nothing more i'd rather do than get pleasantly overserved with you, but let's plan for when you re-enter the land of people who stay up past sunset.

    and i also suspect you're no good for the requisite post-break-up knitting lessons. dammit, my scarf needs a funny looking hat.

    xo, e

    *am not sure if "gimpy" is insensitive, but i do loads of volunteer work, so that should count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, honey, I can titrate between the pain meds and the alcohol. Anything for a friend. And there must be a good early bird special somewhere in town that we can take advantage of. As for the knitting, I'm more than happy to help you come up with a companion for your awesome orange scarf. I've never made a hat, but I'm willing to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?