Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Go shawty, it's your birthday, we gonna party like it's .... well, your ordinary Wednesday night, actually.

Zeke and I were talking last night as I lay with him at bedtime.  I said, "you know what?  Only three more sleeps until Mimi and Papa come!"

"Only three?  That's so cool!" he said.

"And you know what else?  You know what day tomorrow is?"

"What?"

"It's my birthday."

"It's your birthday?"

"Uh-huh."

Suddenly he sat up.  "What day is it tomorrow?  Is it a school day tomorrow?"

"It's Wednesday.  It's a school day."

"But I don't want to go to school!  I want to go to your birthday!"

He was very upset.

Because to him, all birthdays involve big outings to museums or trampoline parks and parties with cake and ice cream and goodie bags.  And he didn't want to miss out.

"Honey, you're not going to miss anything.  I have to go to work and you have to go to school, so maybe we can do something after school.  Would you like to bake a cake with me?  We can have birthday cake and blow out candles."

"Can I eat the cake?"

"Sure."

"OK."

So I'm 42 today.  And I'm not having a big party with trampolines and balloons or anything, but I'm having a lovely day nonetheless.  I have received over 80 emails and/or Facebook messages wishing me a happy birthday.  My friend and co-worker took me out to lunch.  Zeke and Josie and I will make cake tonight.

And I'm doing the little things that I love and routinely do on my birthday.  I'm wearing a snazzy amethyst cocktail ring that belonged to my Grandma Ruth - it's my birthstone and it makes me feel closer to her.


My mom and I had our annual telephone conversation in which she told me about the day I was born.  My dad and I talked about it as well, and he told me how much he loves me and how he's been over the moon for me since the day I was born.  My children were sweet and relatively compliant this morning, and J called to wish me a happy birthday and, as an added bonus, told me about how he pulled a woman from her truck this morning after she lost control and it flipped on the highway and landed upside down.  She was miraculously unharmed, but understandably freaking out and couldn't take off her seat belt or get out of the upside-down truck, so he crawled in, got her out, and carried her to his van and waited with her until the rescue vehicles came.  My husband, the hero.

And life feels very, very good.  Work (my 9-5 job) is going great.  My Beachbody business is going great and is so much more fun and rewarding than I ever would have thought possible - tomorrow I will advance in rank in the company and I'm making more money every month.  My kids are healthy and happy.  J and I are healthy and happy.  Both physically and emotionally, I feel kind of awesome (and loving the juicing, by the way!).

Life always has its crests and troughs.  Right now feels like a crest. 

Even without a big birthday party.

12 comments:

  1. RIGHT ON!!! (like my recent blog post too!) Remember the crests when the troughs hit - but wow, love it that you're on the top of the world right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! And Nica, generally my troughs come from depression (though the last few years have had their fair share of depression-worthy events), and I'm taking my meds and feeling very even-keeled. No cold heavy metal balls in my chest. Fingers crossed that that continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Hahaa you tell the story about Jason like pulling someone from a car happens all the time! Cheers to a happy life, happy b-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not *all* the time! ;)

      Delete
  5. 42 was the most AMAZING year for me, I know it will be for you, big big hugs, soph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glenn B.6:53 AM

    Happy late birthday! Sounds like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenn! It was lovely.

      Delete
  7. Barbara O'Day7:50 AM

    Wow!! Candice is right!! What a wonderful birthday tradition that your Mom and Dad have with you!! And I love how you talked to your son too....

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely! I'm glad you had a great birthday. And I love the ring! I need to create more cocktail ring occasions - I have a plethora of my mom's that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one sweet ring. Hope you had a great day, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

Nu?