Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sugar sugar, oh, honey honey

Remember, like, 2 years ago, when I was pregnant and turned out to have gestational diabetes, much to my surprise and chagrin?  And not only did I have GD, but it turned out I was crazy sensitive to just about everything that my body could possibly convert into glucose with any kind of speed, so I ended up spending the last part of my pregnancy essentially doing the induction phase of the Atkins diet, i.e., no bread, pasta, rice, milk or fruit. 

And then Josie was born and life got crazier and crazier and like an idiot, I never bothered to follow up on the whole diabetes thing to see if it went away once I had given birth.  I just figured that I maintained the diet while she was in utero more for her benefit than for mine, so once she was out in the world, who really cared, right?

I'm so stupid.

Because I've spent the last 2 years trying to work out and do Weight Watchers and get in shape, and while I had some success, I could never quite get over the hump, so to speak, and lose the last 10 pounds of belly fat that were clinging to my middle like the baby orangutan glomming onto its mother for dear life.  And I couldn't figure out why.  I had the discipline.  I had the tools.  But nothing that I had done in the past was working quite as well as it had before.

Then a friend of mine told me about how much success he had had on a "slow carb" diet, which is essentially a low glycemic index diet full of foods that don't cause blood sugars to spike.  And it got me to thinking about whether the body fat that I couldn't get rid of was the result of a diet that, while calorically appropriate, contained things like fruit and rice and milk -- foods that sent my blood sugar levels skyrocketing when I was pregnant.

So I tried the diet and promptly lost 7 or 8 pounds of belly fat in a span of about 3 weeks (just in time for my reunion). 

I had been thinking about getting a physical, because it's been awhile since I had one and I figured I might as well take advantage of my health benefits, which are really good.  So I went on Friday and got checked out.  And on just about every front, I'm in superb health -- my cholesterol is way down since the last time I checked it (I believe as a result of Shakeology), my blood pressure is so low that it's a wonder I'm alive, my weight is good, all is well. 

Except my blood sugar.

Did you know that there's a single blood test that can take a 3-month snapshot of your blood sugar levels?  Apparently it involves delving into the red blood cells at the molecular level or something like that.  I find that astounding.  Anyway, when I told her about my gestational diabetes, she said that it puts me at a higher risk for developing diabetes and that it's definitely something that we needed to look at, so she ordered this test.  And sure enough, while my 3-month levels weren't quite at the diabetic range, they were still pretty high. 

So no sugar, milk, bread, pasta, rice or fruit for me (though I'm allowed to cheat once a week).  It's kind of a drag. 

But at least know I know and can do something about it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so glad you found out before you're officially diabetic!

    And I'm sorry I haven't written you back about the whole P90X/Beachbody/Shakeology question I had. Life is nuts.

    I'm so glad this is working for you. It makes me wonder if I have the same problem. 45 days on a clean eating plan and working out for 30 to 45 min. daily and I've lost 5 lbs. Only 5! Had my thyroid checked and it's not that.

    I have already given up all white foods with the exception of white rice once a week. Still eating fruit though. Is there a book or web site you're using as a guide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uch, I had the g.d. g.d. too! What a huge pain that was. Very excited to check out the diet link -- I would love to find my waistline again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Your post reminded me that I have a standing order at my doctors office to have my blood drawn. Have to be fasting and go in at 7am.... can't imagine why I haven't followed up on that one. Sigh.

    Glad to hear that you got to the bottom of everything though. The low-glyemic eating is the easiest diet change I've ever made. Sure, I could still devour a plain sheet cake for no good reason, but I've learned not to because it doesn't "agree with me". Here's to good health!

    ReplyDelete

Nu?