Friday, June 10, 2011

Destroying childhood illusions, one at a time

So yesterday I revealed myself to be a Mean Mommy who tells her kids to piss off (not in those words) because they're constantly clammoring for maternal attention.

I can't seem to stop destroying their little worlds.

Zeke is totally into Dora the Explorer, and really likes learning new words in Spanish.  Sometimes he'll ask me how to say something in Spanish, and because my ability to speak Spanish is about on par with what a 3-year-old's vocabulary would be, I can usually accommodate.

Yesterday, he asked me how to say "wheel" in Spanish. 

I racked my brain, but I couldn't remember.  (It's "rueda," for those of you who are curious.)

"Sorry, honey, but I don't know.  I'll have to look it up for you."

He looked shocked.  "But Mama, you know everything."

I chuckled and shook my head.  "No, honey, I really don't.  I know lots of things, and I know how to find the answer to just about any question, but I don't know everything."

"Yes, you do!"

"No, sweetie, I don't.  I'm sorry but it's true."

He looked skeptical but didn't say any more.

A few minutes later he asked, "Mama, what's the Spanish word for 'key'?"

"Llave," I responded.

He nodded, reassured.  Just like that, all was right in his universe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nu?