Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Stay-cation: Day Three

This is exactly what I'm wearing today.
I'm getting pretty good at this housewife biz.  Today after dropping the kids off at school, I came home, cleaned (including taking wood polish to the furniture, fireplace mantle, and staircase banister -- whee!), made some phone calls, worked out the dealio with our ski passes for the winter, and went to the grocery store (Safeway AND Costco).

As an added bonus, rather than my usual habit of having a vague sense that we're low on food and then heading to the store without much of a plan, resulting in finding 2 bottles of Thai fish sauce, 3 half-empty bottles of Newman's Own salad dressing, 4 large bags of frozen peas, 2 jars of celery salt and 3 open bags of rotting carrots every time I decide to clean out the kitchen, I made a list. 

And a meal plan.

And figured out what to do with the 2 small sweet potatoes that will go bad if they're not used.

So tonight for dinner, we'll have quesadillas to use up the rest of the tortillas that we bought when we had fish tacos the other night.  I can throw in the rice and beans leftovers as well.   I'm making sweet potato bread.  Tomorrow we'll have butternut squash soup and another loaf of bread that I will make tomorrow.

The refrigerator and freezer are clean and organized.  The laundry is done. The toy trucks are in their baskets.  There are no cheerios under Josie's high chair.  It's quiet and peaceful in the house. 

And did I mention Zeke is potty-trained?  And has had three awesome days at his new school with nary a tear or a wistful glance behind him?

This week doesn't suck at all.

3 comments:

  1. It's all so oddly gratifying, isn't it?

    And yeah! Go Zeke!

    I'm glad you got a chance to take this break between jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet potato bread?! AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa -- it is satisfying. And we're so psyched about Zeke (not to mention saving money by not having to buy diapers).

    LiLu -- it was actually really easy. I found a recipe for potato onion bread, substituted sweet potato for white, left off the onions and added some nutmeg to spice it up. Turned out really delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?