Friday, January 08, 2010

The random workings of the two-year-old mind

Last night, Zeke was running around like a crazy person, as usual, and I realized it was getting late and he still hadn't had any dinner (despite my numerous offers of sustenance).

"Zekey, are you hungry? Do you want something to eat?"

"Yeah!" He says it in a high-pitched voice, full of enthusiasm.

"What would you like?"

"Raccoon food."

This takes me by surprise, as it was only yesterday that he even learned what a raccoon is, when we were going through one of his animal books. There was no discussion of what raccoons eat, nor have we ever really talked about certain animals only eating certain foods. It's a concept I had no idea he was even aware of.

"Did you say 'raccoon food?' You want raccoon food?"

"Yeah!"

"Yes, please," I prompt.

"Yes, pleeeeeeeeze!" He's so damned cute.

"OK. Well, what do raccoons eat?"

"Cheese!"

Fair enough.

3 comments:

  1. This works in your favor, as I think raccoons eat all kinds of things. You can now be all, "Raccoons love broccoli!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I never thought of that. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori B11:40 AM

    Very good...cause I do believe raccoons are scavengers..you cold have been serving old kleenex with a side of rotten tomatoe. Cheese is good. (-:

    ReplyDelete

Nu?