Wednesday, January 06, 2010

It's so nice to have a man around the house


I can't seem to win, health-wise. I thought I had finally kicked whatever virus nastiness had been partying in my innards, and then my sinuses closed up again and I've now got a disgusting cold. Feh.

Nothing to do but make a batch of chicken soup.

So last night I'm sauteeing my onions and separating the breast meat and hacking at the remainder of the bird with a meat cleaver and looking forward to the hot, rich, salty goodness that I know will make me feel better. But then I get to the part where I add the boiling water to the onion and chicken parts that have been simmering in their juices, and I realize I can't find my bay leaves.

I start tearing apart my spice cupboard, but I'm short and the cupboard is tall and I just can't see what I'm not seeing.

"Hey, Jas? Can you come in here and help me for a second?"

"Sure, baby, what do you need?"

"I need tall."

I explain to him that I know I have bay leaves, because I just bought and used some over the weekend, but I can't find them or reach them in the cupboard.

Being far less scatter-brained than I am, he remembers that over the weekend I bought and used fresh bay leaves, not dried ones, so he opens the refrigerator door, opens one of the crisper drawers, and hands me my bay leaves.

"Oh. Oh, yeah. Thanks, sweetie."

"No problem." As he walks back to the living room, he says, "Let me know if you need any more help reaching anything in the lower parts of the fridge."

Touche.

4 comments:

  1. Lori B11:33 AM

    bahaha! that was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I felt kind of stupid, but it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fuckin' love that dude..... you're not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, he's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?