Friday, January 23, 2009

The conversation devolves in a way most father-daughter convos don't...

Yesterday I was talking on the phone with my dad. He had been out of the country for a couple of weeks, so it was nice to catch up. We talked about his travels, the recent pictures of Zeke I had sent him, and then talk turned to President Obama's inauguration.

"It's so nice to finally have a grown-up in the White House," he said. "I was reading about how he was going to support stem-cell research and take other steps to address climate change and stuff like that."

"I know. What a pleasure to have a president that embraces science again."

"I think that the Republican Party will continue to be in the doldrums until they get with the program and embrace not only science, but also abandon their bullshit cultural issues that motivate their base but turn everybody else off."

"No doubt. I mean, with everything else the country is dealing with, gay marriage is the big issue of the day?? Give me a break."

"It just boggles my mind. Three of the four Republican candidates for president last year don't believe in the theory of evolution. Can you believe that?? In the 21st century? They may as well decide that they don't believe in the theory of gravity. Actually, now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind if the theory of gravity were abandoned."

"Ha! Seriously, it would do wonders for my boobs."

"I was thinking of a part of my own body, but I hear what you're saying."

Does anyone else have conversations like this with their dad, or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. I can't say that I've ever had or would ever have this kind of a conversation with my dad, but I think it must be nice share that kind of friendly exchange. Once my dad and I get beyond the weather, the garden, the kids and am I still working in that same place, my dad usually hands the phone to my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of. Not precisely, but sort of. My dad knows a ton about health and such from being a pharmacist and then all those years with AID, so I ask him pretty much anything health-wise that I have questions about. But I think you and I are really not the norm (surprising, I know).

    ReplyDelete

Nu?