Tuesday, January 20, 2009

And the hits keep coming

I'm beginning to think that someone's trying to send me a message, the message being that I need to get out of Hawaii.

Um, point taken. Loud and clear.

I woke up this morning at around 7. Zeke was snuggled up with me. He had woken up when Jason left for work at the crack of dawn, so I brought him into my bed and we got cozy and slept some more.

As I opened my eyes, I remembered that Obama was going to be sworn in at noon on the East Coast, i.e., any minute. As Zeke stretched and yawned his way awake, I turned on the TV. Two minutes later, Chief Justice Roberts was administering the oath. Zeke and I sat there in bed and watched. I cried a little bit.

We got up and got dressed as we listened to the inaugural speech, which was wonderful. We got in the car and headed to school. Zeke was wearing his cool Obama shirt. All was well.

We arrived at school at about 7:55. I took Zeke inside. We chatted with his old teacher from the infant room for a minute or so, and then I took him to the wobbler room and gave him a kiss goodbye. I ran into one of the moms I know, and we chatted for another minute or so. At 8:01, I walked out the door....

...to discover that in the short time I had been away from my car, in broad daylight, in a busy parking lot with parents coming and going and dropping off their kids, some asshole had smashed the front passenger window of my car and grabbed my purse, which was sitting on the floor of the car.

I know, I know. I shouldn't leave my purse in the car. But I do this every day, running in and out in a matter of minutes. It's always light out, there are always tons of people around, not to mention the shop keepers who look out onto the parking lot through big glass windows.

So now I'm out all of my credit cards, my driver's license, Zeke's passport, a wallet that I really love that was a gift, my purse (which came from Target, but I still like it), and a couple of bucks. I cancelled the cards right away. I can get a new driver's license this afternoon. I called my insurance company and I'll have a new window for my car tomorrow morning. But I still feel violated. I had never been the victim of crime before moving here. Since moving here, we've had cars broken into and wallets stolen twice. And they broke my pretty car. Fuckers.

And you want to hear the kicker?

The car wasn't even locked.

6 comments:

  1. That really sucks. I'm so sorry. It's such a violation and a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! My car's been broken into twice, once in downtown Charleston and the other time in downtown Columbia. Luckily, neither time was a window broken nor was my purse inside. But, I lost many CDs and my gym bag with my favorite yoga clothes. Why someone would want a bunch of burned CDs and used yoga clothes, I've no idea! Assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn. So sorry to hear that. Total and complete bullshit fuckers.

    On a happy note, I love the picture of you and Zeke. Reminds me so much of taking pix with Walt. You sit there, holding on to him and looking at the camera. Meanwhile he's poised for toddler take-off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:11 PM

    That sux, Wendy.

    Bastards.

    DON'T FORGET TO CONTACT THE CREDIT BUREAUS SO THEY CAN PUT AN ALERT ON YOUR CREDIT. Just in case the fuckers decide to try to buy a car or a house in your name.

    Sherice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Unbelievable. I've had that happen to me and it feels awful.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?