Monday, April 02, 2007

David and Michele: 5 Gulfstream Vs

This is another tribute to the awesomeness of my friends. This one honors David and Michele, using a rating system of Gulfstream V luxury aircrafts, as a nod to Dave & Michele's tendency to undertake lengthy and expensive travel to come to my side.

First, a little background. Michele was a sorority sister of mine at the University of Virginia. At UVa, we were friends and I thought she was smart and cool, but I can't say that I knew her as well or hung out with her as much as some of my other friends from college (probably because she was a year ahead of me in school). After graduation, I didn't see her for 10 years. Then one night in 1999 (I think, may have been early 2000), I was hanging out with a friend of mine in a pub in Atlanta, and this woman who looked familiar walked up to me and said, "Did you go to UVa?"

Me: Yes.
Her: Were you a Zeta?
Me (becoming more intrigued): Yeeess..
Her: You're Wendy!
Me: Yes!
Her: I'm Michele!
Me: Holy shit!

And we reconnected and became close friends again. I introduced her to a bunch of my buddies and she introduced me to a bunch of her buddies (most notably, Carrie, who came with me on the surfing trip to Costa Rica when I met Jason). She became part of the core "girls' night" crew, and she's been an integral part of my life ever since. She married David in 2003, and he's a total mensch -- smart, funny, interesting, and an all-around swell guy.
In the past few years, David and Michele have played an integral role in the major events in my life, and I feel compelled to chronicle their outstanding deeds:
  • When my dog, Floyd, died in 2003, Michele hosted an Irish wake in Floyd's behalf, in which we toasted to Floyd's memory and told funny stories about him. Michele set up a picture of Floyd on the counter with a little shot glass of whiskey set in front of it, so he could have some libations to take him up to heaven. (5 G-Vs)
  • When Jason and I got married in Australia in 2005, David and Michele flew over even though they could only stay for a week (which is murderous turn-around time for such a long trip and huge time difference), and even though Michele was 5 1/2 months pregnant with her second child. Michele's rationalization was, "hey, you have to have a posse for your wedding." Other than my parents, only 3 people came over from the States -- Dave and Michele, and my friend Malinda. Michele calmed me down when I was freaking out on my wedding day, did my hair, and generally kept me sane. She and David were also huppah-holders. (5 G-Vs)
  • At our second wedding in Atlanta in 2006, Michele was one of my bridesmaids and she and David helped us set up for the rehearsal dinner the night before. I was, of course, freaking out that day, and Michele kept me sane. (5 G-Vs)
  • At our New Years' Eve party this year, Michele showed up straight from the hospital after working insane hours delivering babies. She hit the moon bounce in her scrubs. (5 G-Vs)
  • On the Sunday we were leaving Atlanta to start our cross-country trip, Michele opened her office to give me an ultrasound and thereby helped reassure me that my pregnancy was progressing well.
  • This weekend, Michele and David are, once again, making a long trip for a short amount of time to come and visit us. They will be our first visitors since moving to Hawaii, and will ease some of the lonesomeness I feel at being so far from my friends and family. (5 G-Vs)
So, there it is. Once again, I am overwhelmed by the lengths to which my friends will go to see me, help me, and generally make my life complete. Dave and Michele, I love you and can't wait to see you on Friday. We'll have leis and cocktails ready for you when you get off the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nu?