Sunday, March 18, 2007

Transition

So, we're here. The dog made it fine -- I think he handled the flight better than I did. Every time we went through turbulence I started to cry. But we got him from the quarantine station and everything was fine and we're in our new place. We're renting a place in Kapolei, an area that's being developed over on the west side of the island. It's old Navy housing that's been converted to rentals. Lots of linoleum floors and painted cinderblock walls, but that's pretty much par for the course in Hawaii. We've spent the last two days starting to set up house. The first night we slept on a camping mattress and ate pizza sitting on the kitchen floor. Yesterday we bought a card table and some chairs, plus a bed and a TV. A 50 inch plasma flat panel, to be exact. Don't ask me how I allowed my husband to talk me into it, but I did. Sam's Club had a great deal, so whatever. The irony is that we can't get our cable hooked up (or our internet or phone) for another two weeks, so we look at the TV and remark on how pretty it is. We did rent some movies last night, so we got to try it out -- the picture is unbelievable.

Today we're going to check out some garage sales, maybe score a couch or a dresser. It's hard starting from scratch. The weather is great and the beach is 5 minutes away, but I feel kind of lonely and unmoored.

1 comment:

  1. I hear that Romanian pottery really makes a house feel like home!

    ReplyDelete

Nu?