Tuesday, January 23, 2007

It's All Happening

When I started this blog last August, I was in Hawaii looking at real estate. We had just put our house on the market and assumed that it would sell within 30 to 45 days. I had it in my mind that we would be out there within months, and I was ready. Everything seemed to be moving so fast, I didn't have time to really think about it.

But then the house sat on the market for months, and I started to feel complacent. Like the move was just this thing that was always out there in the future, but not ever actually happening, especially after we took the house off the market for the holidays.

All of that time in limbo caused me to ruminate more and more on what I would be leaving, most particularly my friends. But it's more than that. It's my whole life here. I moved to Atlanta 12 1/2 years ago, fresh out of law school, with no money and no job. I got an apartment with some college friends, waited tables until I found a job in a law firm, and proceeded to put down roots. While living this city, I learned how to be a lawyer, had my heart broken, made lots of friends, traveled, became an aunt, bought a house, ran a marathon, played in a bluegrass band, and fell in love and got married. This is where I became a grown-up. I feel at home here.

And now I'm leaving in 5 weeks. We signed a contract and are closing on February 27. I'm excited for the future, but my heart feels heavy at the same time. I'm going to miss this place.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:26 PM

    oh sweet wendy, it will all be okay. as, much as i hate you leaving, i know it will all be okay. change is good. i am excited for all the good things that are coming, e

    ReplyDelete

Nu?