Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Done and done

Jason's back from his bike trip in Colorado. Big fun was had by all.

And he's sold on moving to Denver. Not only did he really love the city, but he (unprompted by me) started echoing the sentiments about getting off this island that I have been feeling all along.

That it will be wonderful to have close friends and family in the same city. Being able to head over to Kathleen's house on a whim to have a glass of wine and a chat, or to watch Project Runway or some other stupid reality TV show. Jason and Rich being able to plan a last minute bike ride or ski/snowboard session, or decide to get together to watch a football game on the Fiddy.* Getting together with my cousins and their children. Having Zeke grow up with his cousins and with the children of my best friend -- children whom I love as if they were my own.

He also marveled at the ability to drive for 5 hours out in the country and be in such beautiful, open land.

"I didn't realize how much I was suffering from island fever," he remarked.

The mainland is so huge and diverse. Hawaii is beautiful, but it's small, and limited (and limiting) in so many ways -- culturally, intellectually, geographically. It's hard being so isolated.

And then there's the cost of living. Kathleen and Rich's last electric/gas bill was about $70. Ours was $520. I can find good work in Denver, that utilizes the expertise that I've been developing for the last 9 years. I can't do that here. So not only is the cost of living here choking us, but we've got almost no money coming in.

I can't deal with the stress of it anymore. And neither can Jason.

So last night we were talking, sort of dancing around the issue of, "should we make a definite plan? Should we wait a few months to make a decision?"

And we decided to make a definite plan.

My law school course ends in May. Exams are in mid-May, so I'm assuming I'll have to get the finals graded and the grades turned in within a week or so of that. Jason finishes his union course around the same time. So it looks like the end of May/early June is our departure date.

There's so much to do. I'm still terrified about not being able to make it financially until then. But we'll figure it out.

I can't wait.


____________________________________
* Our obscene 50-inch flat-screen TV.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:04 PM

    I suspect that you guys have a high risk tolerance level. The move will be work out just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! And you're going to be fine. I know you must be ultra relieved and excited...

    Also, I am sooooooo homesick for you guys --- and a big bit jealous (but in the nicest way possible.).

    Also, I'd like a fried turkey.

    love
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is GREAT news! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god! I have goosebumps and tears. I hope you and Jason both know that the only thing I truly want is for you to be happy. With that said, how fucking awesome for us if what will make YOU happy is to live in Denver. I can't wait!

    Oh yeah, and you can have your Triniton tv back to making you officially the most well-endowed tv folks in the land.

    XXXOOO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god! I have goosebumps and tears. I hope you and Jason both know that the only thing I truly want is for you to be happy. With that said, how fucking awesome for us if what will make YOU happy is to live in Denver. I can't wait!

    Oh yeah, and you can have your Triniton tv back to making you officially the most well-endowed tv folks in the land.

    XXXOOO.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?