Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Family resemblance

Though Zeke definitely has some of Jason's physical traits -- they have the same hair color, identical hands, and Zeke definitely has Jason's muscle-y legs -- people often tell me that they think he looks like me. I think it's the eyes, plus he gets certain facial expressions that are very similar to mine, particularly when he's concentrating on something.

Exhibit A:

(Top: my mom reading to me at about 12 months or so; below: me reading to Zeke last weekend)

Exhibit B:


(Top: me at 10 months, hanging out on my dad's motorcycle; bottom: Zeke at 6 months)

There's something very gratifying, but also very strange, about seeing yourself in your child. I often think, sure, he's got some of my physical traits, but is he going to have my personality traits? Will he inherit the clinical depression I inherited from my dad's side of the family? Will he be smart? Will he have my irrational fear of birds, or my aversion to bell peppers? Will he eat vegemite like his father?

On one hand, I know I should just stop worrying about it. He'll turn out how he turns out, and if his current personality is any indication, he'll be a charming, happy guy. But on the other hand, I can't stop thinking about it. I'm just so curious to find out what he'll be like.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I love the photos! You are right - he is so much like you in his facial expressions!

    It's really interesting, the pieces of personality and physical tendencies that kids get from their parents. I've seen this in friends' kids and in my own nephew - and it comes out so young! I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:57 PM

    This stopped me dead in my tracks! Just whoa!

    I had no idea how much Zeke looked like you.

    And the picture of your mom reading to you and then it's "twin" of you with Zeke - well, they're stunning in their resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the pic of me reading to him, I was really excited b/c the pic of my mom reading to me is one of my all time faves, and it was so amazing to see it replicated (especially since I look so much like my mom).

    ReplyDelete
  4. i knew you looked like your mom, but didn't realize just how much. that is an awesome photo. also i have an irrational love of baby ears and as mentioned before, i have a crush on zeke's!

    ReplyDelete

Nu?