Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Shrinking the distance

I put alot of effort into maintaining close contact with my friends and family on the mainland and all over the world. Occasionally it flashes into my head exactly where I am and how far away I am from just about everyone I love, and it can be overwhelming. Blogging helps. I usually have at least 4 or 5 Scrabulous games going on Facebook, and that helps. I talk to my mother every day and to other relatives and friends weekly.

Today that feeling of home came from an unlikely place.

I had Cream of Wheat for breakfast.

When I was little, Cream of Wheat for breakfast was a treat that my mom would make us when it was cold out or when we had all made it down to the table with time to spare. We would have it with brown sugar and milk on top. It was my favorite breakfast, and the one that would send me off to school feeling content and cozy and loved.

Yet, for some reason, I never eat it as an adult. I still love it, but when I'm at the grocery store I gravitate to oatmeal.

Today after I dropped Zeke off at school, I headed to the market to stock up on more oatmeal (having poured dog food over the last I had in the house) and some fruit. When I got to the cereal aisle, I saw the box of Cream of Wheat sitting there, and I felt an instant flood of nostalgia. I bought it and took it home and made myself a bowl with strawberries and bananas on top. It tasted like home. I felt like my mommy was there, ready to send me off to school with a kiss and a full warm belly.

It's made it much easier to sit at my desk and face the day, way out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

2 comments:

  1. i love cream of wheat. I think all mothers feed this to their children so that whenever we eat it later, we instantly think of them. It's like microchipping pets. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. moosie -- I love that analogy. And I fully intend to indoctrinate Zeke when he's old enough, with similar results, I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?