Thursday, April 17, 2008

To sleep, perchance to dream...

O sleep, O gentle sleep,
Nature's soft nurse, how have I frightened thee,
That thou no more will weigh my eyelids down,
And steep my senses in forgetfulness?


-- William Shakespeare, Henry IV, Part 2



Zeke has now slept through the night 4 nights in a row. So I think it's safe to say he's trained. Yay, success!!

But having uninterrupted nights has made it apparent to me that my sleep is more fucked up than ever. Remember when I said that the cure to insomnia was to have a baby, because you don't really have time during the night to lie awake for hours on end? Well, I was sort of kidding when I wrote it, but apparently I wasn't. Because I'm now so conditioned to wake up every few hours that I am incapable of sleeping for more than short spans at a time.

Ever since Zeke stopped waking up during the night, I have woken up at 2 or 2:30 every night and only been able to doze off and on until morning. So I read, or I get up and read the news online, or I go downstairs and fold our bottomless pile of laundry.

So I'm learning all about John Adams (and if you're looking for something to read, the book is outstanding), and I'm definitely up on current events, and I've got lots of folded clothes in my closet. But I'm fucking exhausted.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 PM

    I remember those screwed up hours. Hopefully, it will even out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo i saw that John Adams book and was going to get it, but I got the Architecture of Happiness instead. And im sorry about the random waking up times...its sort of like having a cat wake you up in the middle of the night, except without the claws. and the fangs.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?