Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Stream of semi-consciousness

I'm in a big council hall. I think I'm supposed to be getting ready to speak right now. The room looks like the inside of the U.S. Senate chambers, very grand and formal and parlaimentary. I'm giving a speech soon, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say. I'm trying to listen to what the other people in the room are talking about, but all I can hear is a cat crying. The cat sounds like it's in pain. I try to focus on what's going on around me, but all I can hear is the cat ....

Zeke's awake. And crying, hard. I look at the clock, and it's 1:40 in the morning. Not bad, he's been asleep for almost 5 hours, which is good after waking up at 8, an hour after going to sleep, and being practically inconsolable. Probably the teething. He's drooling all over everything these days, constantly rubbing his gums, and then all of a sudden last night he has a runny nose. Which means his ears probably aren't far behind. Fuck.

Oooof. Jesus, dog, do you have to sleep stretched out across the doorway? Are you trying to break my neck? God, I'm tired. My eyes feel like they've been glued shut. I bump into the wall as I walk into Zeke's room. Ow.

Oh, muffin. Mommy's here, mommy's here. Don't cry. Shhhhh. Here, have a bottle. Did I remember to dose it with some Advil? I think so. OK, there you go. Close your eyes. Shhhh. It's OK. You're OK. Let's just sit in the chair and rock for a bit.

Rock, rock, rock. I need to finish that memo for the boss's meeting tomorrow. I wonder if the client is going to appeal. I bet they do. I should start researching and writing portions of the brief so it will be done when we need it.

There, there, baby, go to sleep. Good boy. Close your eyes. Shhhhhhh.

Whoa, what's wrong? Why are you crying again? Are you in pain? Poor pooper. Here, I'll put some orajel on your gums. Do you want me to rub your gums for you? No? Oh, my poor baby. Let's walk around a little bit. Do you want me to sing you a song?

OK, he's breathing deeply now. His arm just kind of collapsed down by his side. That's a good sign. I think he's asleep. OK, sweetie, let me switch arms so I can put you back in your bed. There you go, roll over and go to sleep.

Watch out for the dog. Where are the covers? I need to turn the fan down. It's blowing little strands of hair in my face and it's itchy. I think Jason took my other pillow. I hope I can fall back to sleep. Is it raining? Weird. I miss the thunderstorms in Atlanta. It never storms like that here.

Deep breath.

1 comment:

  1. Very well-written post. And so familiar!

    Substitute a nebulizer for the orajel, notes on web content for my client for your memo, and you have pretty much summed up my week. Including the dog. Only mine is at the end of our bed where I have to walk.

    Poor you. I have the luxury of knowing that these days and nights do pass. Thankfully.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?