Thursday, March 06, 2008

A list

Last night we watched Zodiac, a decidedly mediocre movie that I ordered from Netflix because I'd heard decent things about it and because it's got a really good cast, particularly Robert Downey, Jr. It got me to thinking about all of the less-than-stellar movies I'd watched and enjoyed, notwithstanding their mediocrity, because of actors or actresses I love and would watch in anything.

The actors I would pay to watch even if they were just reading the phone book:
  • Russell Crowe -- he may be a grumpy asshole (and quite frankly, I kind of doubt it, I just think he's gotten a bad rap), but he's always compelling. Completely dedicated to his craft, makes great choices.
  • Robert Downey, Jr. -- crazy-talented, picks interesting roles, and as good a dramatic actor as he is, he's got incredible comic timing
  • Clive Owen -- has more screen presence that it should be legal for one person to possess
  • Ewan MacGregor -- always interesting to watch. No matter what he's doing, you can't take your eyes off him. Especially if he's naked. :)
  • Ryan Gosling -- intense, makes acting look effortless, huge range
The actors I wouldn't pay to watch even if the movie won the "Greatest Film in the History of the Universe" Award and resulted in a cure for both cancer and AIDS:
  • Tom Cruise -- creepy creepy creepy. Whatever he's doing on screen, I just don't buy it.
  • Mel Gibson -- creepy anti-semitic drunken asshole. And not a good actor. And not all that good looking, either. And did I mention he creeps me out?
  • Robin Williams in a comedic role -- I think he's good in dramatic stuff (e.g., Good Will Hunting), but shit like Patch Adams and all of that other goofbally crap makes me vomit. He's not funny. His frenetic comedic style makes me want to lie down in a dark room with a damp washcloth over my eyes.
  • Billy Crystal in a movie in which he takes his shirt off -- which is most of them. Dude, your bald chest is creepy. Just stop it.

2 comments:

  1. Spoken just like this chick I know who dumped a guy because his favorite movie was Three Amigos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfectly legitimate reason, in my opinion. I could have handled it if he simply liked Three Amigos, or thought Three Amigos was funny, but to choose that as his favorite out of every movie ever made? No. Just, no.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?