Saturday, March 08, 2008

Good Mommy

It's an ear infection. Last night Zeke couldn't lie down to sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time without crying in pain, so finally I gave in at around 1:30 in the morning and just sat in the chair holding him so that he could sleep upright. Then this morning he was nice and feverish, so I got him in to see the doctor, who confirmed that he's got infection in both ears. He's now on his third round of antibiotics in about a month and a half. The doc complimented me for seeing the signs and bringing him in right away, so he'll be fine by the time we go to Colorado (*knocks wood*).

There are few things more pitiful or more exhausting than dealing with a sick baby. They're too little to know what's wrong with them and why they feel so yucky, which is sad. And they're too little to stick in their beds with cartoons on and a pile of coloring books and instructions to drink their juice and get some sleep. Meaning I spent the day sitting on the couch holding him, with a damp washcloth cooling his forehead, while he alternately slept and whimpered in my arms. Mommy's tired.

He's now been asleep in his bed for about half an hour. Fingers crossed, but I have a feeling that it's going to be another long night...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Aw... poor thing! I hope he feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely ask your pediatrician about A/B Optic drops--some old school numbing med for ears that I only found out about when Lula had swimmer's ear last summer. I've never heard any downside to it, so why would we make our babies suffer when we know how bad ear infections feel. Plus, it guarantees some sleep for them and you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K - I remember you mentioning the drops when Lula first got them, and I forgot to ask the doc about it. But I'm going to take him back to get his ears checked the day before we fly, just in case, and I'll ask for some then. In any event, the antibiotics he's on now are hardcore shit, and they've worked amazingly fast. He slept fine the first night he was on them -- a mere 5 hours after getting his first dose.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?