Thursday, March 13, 2008

A dilemma

In a move that can only be described as "dickish" (and that's a generous characterization), Jason's foreman informed him that if he takes next Thursday off to go to Colorado (which he would have to do, obviously, since it would be impossible for him to go to work and be in Colorado), then there's a decent chance he'd get fired. Apparently, his company is laying guys off these days and looking for anything to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, in terms of making the decision. So he can't take the trip, which sucks.

The question becomes, should I go, and if so, should I take Zeke?

In favor of going with Zeke are:

  1. I really want to take the trip, and I'd miss him terribly if I were away from him for 4 days.
  2. It would be easier for me to take care of him because I'll be with a houseful of other adults, so I'd have help, whereas Jason would have him by himself for 4 days, which is alot of work.
  3. He'll get to meet his cousins. But of course, he doesn't know what a "cousin" is, so I'm not sure if that's such a bonus for him, especially since he won't remember it. Maybe the benefit is to me, in that I get to show off my gorgeous baby to my cousins.
In favor of leaving Zeke with Jason are:
  1. He's still battling his ear infection, and while it's likely to clear up by then, flying with him and then taking him to altitude could easily exacerbate whatever is going on in his little head. Having a sick baby sucks. Having to travel with a sick baby is exponentially worse.
  2. I could actually sleep for more than 2 hours at a time.
  3. Jason would get some quality time with his boy.
  4. I would save the cost of daycare at Vail (required if I'm going to ski - and I am), which is insanely expensive.
  5. I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of flying with an infant (as much as I happen to love said infant), healthy or not.
  6. Did I mention the sleep?
In favor of not taking the trip at all is that we can just bank the tickets and use them together as a family at some later point.

I'm leaning against that last one.

4 comments:

  1. My choice is option 3 but with a twist. Use that ticket for when you come back east and bring Jason with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to, but he can't take the time off. I think what we'll do is come back for Thanksgiving at Mom's house. I haven't been back to DC for ages, and I'd like Zeke to see the DC cousins (especially Ron, who is not well).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:25 PM

    I vote for you going alone, even though you'd miss the little one. I think you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to go alone. J and I talked about it last night, and he really wants to have a weekend with Zeke, and for me to go and have fun. I tried to emphasize how much work it is to take care of a baby alone for that length of time, but he was unwavering. it's going to be very strange -- I haven't been away from my baby since he was born.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?