Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sign of the times?

Lately I've noticed the topic of a person's star sign coming up frequently in conversations I've had or overheard. "I have a tendency to do X," "Oh, well, that makes sense because you're a Scorpio" -- that sort of thing. It all goes right over my head. I don't know anything about astrology and though I have no problem with other people putting stock in it, I'm not sure I buy the notion that I have much in common with the other 1/12 of the world's population that was also born whenever Aquarius is (late January to late February?), other than we have birthdays close together. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that with my extremely left-dominant brain, I don't really get it.

The benefit of all of this astrology talk is that I get a good chuckle because it reminds me of one of my favorite bits from Monty Python's Life of Brian. At the very beginning of the movie, the three wise men are in a manger in Bethlehem, thinking they are blessing Jesus, but they've actually stumbled into the wrong manger and are blessing Brian, a random baby.

Brian's mother learns they are astrologers and asks, "well then, what star sign is he?"

"Capricorn."

"Capricorn, eh? What are they like?"

"He is the son of God, our Messiah! The King of the Jews!"

"And that's Capricorn, is it?"

"No, no, that's just him."

"Oh, I was going to say, otherwise there'd be a lot of them."

Hee!

So, what are Aquarians like? Is it possible that 1/12 of the world population is as moody, demanding, self-doubting and bossy as I am? All I have to say to that is, "oy."

6 comments:

  1. I'm marginally interested in astrology. I've had my chart done and was surprised by how accurate it was in terms of specific issues in my life.

    But I'm by no means an expert. Here's what I found about Aquarians in a book I have called The Secret Language of Birthdays.

    Aquarius symbolizes advanced thought which takes us out of our physical state and allows us to view the infinite in all things. Aquarius also represents acceptance of all points of view and shows the universal wisdom inherent in thoughts and actions.

    Aquarians are promoters of high ideals, valuing scientific and universal truths. They strive to maintain objectivity and are often accused of coolness. However, joy is essential to the Aquarius personality and they like things to go easily. A wish for happiness pervades everything they do, but if confronted by conflict, they can fly off the handle and go on the attack with lightening speed.


    I'm out of time, but I will say that those born on Feb. 15 are known for their great ingenuity as well as imagination and have the ability to make their unusual visions a reality. They find it natural to think creatively and are less threatened than most by challenges of varying complexity.
    They are lovers of nature who like to roam and think as they wish.

    Famous Feb. 15 birthdays include Galileo, Susan B. Anthony, Matt Groening, and Charles Tiffany (the jeweler).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of that moment in Life of Brian makes me chuckle. It's all in the accent. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn -- thanks for the info from your book. It would be cool to think that I have some of the attributes you describe (but maybe not so much the flying off the handle and going on the attack at lightening speed).

    But is it because of when I was born, or the fact that I was born into educated, liberal-minded family and culture that values open-mindedness and high ideals? I think of the ruling classes of Saudi Arabia or other really oppressive regimes -- they must have some Aquarians -- and I wonder how they can be said to promote high ideals or to value scientific and universal truths (I just read an article about a Saudi woman sentenced to be executed for witchcraft, so I'm a little incensed right now). It just seems like such a strange idea that personal characteristics and values could be influenced by when you're born.

    Sammy -- it is in the accent. and the falsetto voice. I might have to watch the movie today. Blessed are the cheesemakers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:51 AM

    Yeah... I'm with you--I'm inclined to be skeptical, but open to listening. I'm a Gemini myself, and I don't feel like I have any of the traditional Gemini traits. And my sister is a Leo (supposed to be an attention hound) who is extremely shy. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since I'm a Pisces, I'm kinda new-agey and thus my bringing it up! But, also, I have had some strange astrology experiences, which is, I guess, really why it's on my radar screen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suz -- it wasn't just your bringing it up that made me think of it, and I hope you're not offended by the post. Honestly, I've had about 5 conversations in the past week in which someone's sign was brought up, and I just found it curious and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Nu?