Monday, March 26, 2007

Blase island attitude + administrative bullshit = smoke coming out of my ears

My car is in Honolulu. It arrived on the ship yesterday. I called this morning to find out when I could come pick it up. The conversation went something like this.

Me: Hi, I'm calling to find out when I can pick up my car. It arrived on the ship yesterday, I believe. Here's my booking number...

Her: Did someone call you to make an appointment to come get the car?

Me: No, but I knew the ship was arriving at port yesterday, so I figured I'd call today.

Her: Oh, OK. Well, your car is here.

Me: Great. When can I get it?

Her: You have to make an appointment to pick it up. Unfortunately, I don't have any appointments for today. I can put you on a waiting list for tomorrow, or I can give you a definite appointment for Wednesday.

Me: I don't understand. My car is here, but I'm not allowed to come get it?

Her: Pickups are only by appointment. I don't have any appointments left for today. I can put you on a waiting list for tomorrow, or I can give you an appointment for Wednesday.

Me: Fine, make it Wednesday. What time on Wednesday?

Her: Hold on a second.

[I'm on hold for about 3 minutes]

Her: Thanks for holding. Your car isn't available.

Me: What? I thought you said it was here.

Her: It is here, but it's not available to be picked up.

Me: I don't understand. I thought you said the car was here.

Her: It hasn't been off-loaded from the ship yet. It'll probably be off-loaded tomorrow, and then it will be ready to be picked up on Wednesday.

Me: OK, so I can still keep my Wednesday appointment?

Her: No.

Me: Why not?

Her: Unfortunately, I can't schedule you an appointment if the car isn't available. When it's available, we'll call you to set up an appointment.

Me: [Heavy sigh]. OK. Thanks.

This is the shit that drives me crazy about moving. I can handle the packing and unpacking of boxes, the chaos of trying to set up a new place, etc. But when other people have your stuff, you are completely at their mercy. They can be as ridiculous as they want, and there's nothing I can do. I can't yell, I can't threaten, I can't cajole. They have all the power. They've got me over the barrel, and they know it and I know it. Fuckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nu?