Saturday, August 05, 2006

Narrowing the field

I looked at 8 or 9 different places today, and I think I've got it narrowed down to a place in Waikiki and the place in Kailua. Nothing else even comes close. I saw a couple of places that were decent and in a good building and location, a place that was too shabby (with a weird layout), a place that was in a great location and building but was just too tiny, and then, the Waikiki condo that I really love. The thing that struck me was that as important as it is to walk through a place to get a sense of whether you like it, with both of the ones that I love, the walkthrough only confirmed what I already knew in my gut. With the Kailua place, I knew as soon as I saw the listing, a month and a half ago, that I would love it. Same with the Waikiki place. I don't know if the agents who prepared the listings really knew how to convey the feel of the properties or what, but I had a powerful sense that either of them could be the one.

So what's so great about it? First, it is in an unbelievable location. Right in Waikiki, blocks from the beach, walking distance to restaurants, shopping, recreational paths. On Ala Wai canal with a view of the mountains and great trade breezes to keep the place cool. It's got a terrific layout, and I already have an idea of how to open up the main living area even more. It's in move-in condition. It's got a lanai (Hawaiian for balcony) that wraps around the unit. The maintenance fee is a bit steep, but it covers every utility. It's got covered parking, and the location is so good that we could probably get away with having only one car. I can see myself entertaining guests and working there. In a word, it rocks.


















view of Ala Wai Canal from the wraparound lanai

Above: the salt water fish tank/pond; view of the kitchen from the lanai

back corner of the living room. You can see the lanai on either side outside the windows.

The next step is to talk to Cy tomorrow and go over the contract process. When I get home, I'll sit down with Jason, go over all of the various listings and the 150 pictures I took, and make a decision. I think we'll place a contingency offer (contingent on the sale of our house) within a week.

And now, I'm going to the beach. I may even rent a surfboard and catch a couple of waves, but I'm kind of a pussy about surfing without Jason, so I'll probably just read and nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nu?