Friday, August 04, 2006

Friday morning, and feeling impatient

In case you can't tell, I'm (a) bored waiting for the real estate agent to show up so we can get started (he'll be here in 2 1/2 hours -- damn you, 6 hour time difference!), and (b) digging this blogging thing.

I went for my complimentary breakfast at 6:30 this morning. The "breakfast" consisted of mini-donuts, donut holes (chocolate and frosted cinnamon), cheese and apple danishes that had to be at least a day old, toast served with little plastic single-serve tubs of Country CrockTM well past their expiration date, and canned juice. Ah, Waikiki Gateway Hotel, how will I get used to being home again after the standard of living you've kept me in? *sigh* And if it seems like I'm inordinately complaining, I really don't mean to. I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture. The view is lovely, the location can't be beat, the internet service is fast, and the guy at the front desk is very friendly.

The nice thing about the time difference is that it's only 8 in the morning and I've already accomplished so much today. I made progress on my brief, which is going to kick ass, if I do say so my damned self. I read the news in all the major newspapers, plus CNN, MSNBC and Slate. I got caught up on my celebrity gossip. And I went for a run and checked out what might be my new neighborhood. The run was lovely. This is the general area where I ran, including a walking path right on the beach that isn't visible in these pictures:
















Top: view west of Kalakaua Blvd, including Fort DeRussey Park. Bottom: view south towards beach

It is a beautiful day. I saw a bunch of surfers at the break just outside of Ala Moana Harbor -- there were good waves, as there is a 10 foot swell coming up from the south. Jason will be in heaven when he gets here. He is so happy when he can surf. Even though he likes our friends in Atlanta, does alot of mountain biking, is going camping with the boys this weekend, etc., I can see him withering a little bit when he's away from the beach for too long.

I walked by one of the buildings that I'm interested in. It's right on Ala Wai Boulevard on the canal. About 3 blocks to the beach, 3 blocks to the heart of Waikiki, right on a huge recreation path where we can bike, walk the dog or run. The downside of the property is that it ain't cheap -- the maintenance fees and taxes are about $700 a month, and that's on top of a hefty mortgage payment. But the fee does include cable, electricity, water and sewage, so there's that. Anyway, it's a nice looking building, and the view of the mountains and canal is crazy gorgeous.

I might try to hit the beach today, so I think I'm going to walk down to this bathing suit store I saw to find a new suit. I haven't bought a new bathing suit in about 3 years, and my old ones are looking very, very tired. I'll post more after I get back this afternoon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nu?