Tuesday, August 08, 2006

10:40 pm, and I'm all nerves

Jet lag sucks. I was so exhausted this morning that I slept like a dead person until about 7:30, which is way too late to get organized and be on time for work, then I'm exhausted again at around 4 in the afternoon, and now it's way past bedtime and I'm a bundle of anxiety and I can't sleep. Word to the wise: unless you can help it, don't take a trip in which your turnaround is less than the time you will require to get over the time difference. A good rule of thumb is 1 day per hour or hour and a half of time difference, i.e., assume that if you're going someplace where there's a 6 hour time difference, it'll take at about 4-6 days to get adjusted fully. Last year I did a trip to Australia, which is 14 hours ahead of the East Coast, that was only a week long. My body completely rebelled and I got horribly sick -- tonsillitis, if I remember correctly -- as soon as I got back. The Hawaii trip was 3 days, with a 6 hour time difference, and while I don't feel like I'm getting sick, my head hurts and I'm alternately tired and wired at the wrong times.

I'm also feeling very nervous. Excited about the move, but also terrified. I keep bursting into tears and then feeling stupid about it. I know it's going to be a grand adventure, but I'm going to miss my family and friends so much that it physically hurts sometimes, like a vise grip in my chest. Being in limbo is hard. What if the sellers of the Waikiki place don't accept the offer, or what if our house here doesn't sell in time? I crunched the numbers to try to figure out if we could float the mortgage on this place AND have Jason between jobs for awhile AND pay the mortgage, condo fees, etc. in Hawaii, and I just don't see that we could without ending up in the poor house or the funny farm. Which means that we have to wait for our house here to sell before we can do anything. I hate not knowing what's going to happen or where we're going to be, or when.

Plus my dad's in Israel right now until next week. I won't relax until his plane touches down on U.S. soil again, especially because, according to my mom, he may be going to Haifa. Which is being shelled by Hezbollah rockets. So there's that.

Sorry to be whining. This blog is functioning as my therapist right now, so I thank all of you for your patience and forebearance. I've received so many emails and other expressions of encouragement, and I appreciate your support and am flattered by your interest in my inane musings.

Oh, and Eleanor, I did finally get my Ipod to work. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nu?